Nicholas J. Bernate
As a trial attorney, I view litigation as one of many tools I can use to resolve my client’s problems – even those which at first appear unsolvable.
Nick is a member of Murray Plumb & Murray’s litigation team where he represents businesses, property owners, landlords, corporate entities, and individuals. His practice is largely devoted to construction defect, commercial landlord/tenant, real estate disputes, and breach of contract. He also defends clients against various complex personal injury claims, including wrongful death and defamation.
Prior to joining Murray Plumb & Murray, Nick was a shareholder of Clement, Fitzpatrick & Kenworthy, in Santa Rosa, California. He also worked as a senior associate at the law firm of Bledsoe, Diestel, Treppa & Crane LLP, in San Francisco. Nick has tried several jury cases in California Superior Court and the United States Federal Court, in addition to working on matters in the California Court of Appeal and United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Nick has been recognized as a top-rated civil litigation attorney in Northern California, where he was named a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” each year since 2017. He has also been selected by his peers for Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch and was featured in Sonoma Magazine’s 2021 Lawyers of Distinction. Nick lives with his family in Freeport.
- Santa Clara University School of Law,
- Cum laude, Order of the Coif, Dean’s List, Witkin Awards for academic excellence
- University of California at Santa Cruz, B.A., Legal Studies
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the District of Northern California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maine
- Litigation & Trial
Affiliations & Recognition
- Super Lawyers – Rising Star, 2017-2022
- Sonoma Magazine – Lawyers of Distinction 2021
- Best Lawyers – Ones to Watch 2020-2022